Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Home Sweet Home (or Mortgage sweet Mortgage)



So, here it is. We have finally found a house!!!! It has taken many many moons and we've looked at some crap and some majorly over priced average houses but it was all worth it (hopefully!). We are under contract and will be closing Sept. 15th (at the latest, hopefully earlier, but we'll see). We've got to do a little work before we move in. The only thing that MUST be done is putting a shower in the bathroom, it's only got a tub. So I think we're going to just redo the whole bathroom now instead of putting in the shower then redoing the whole thing later anyway! Also, we have to strip off wallpaper before we can paint. And, we're trying to decide if we want to pull up the carpet & redo the wood floors now or wait until later ('cause ya just never know what you'll find! And I don't know that we can afford new carpet everywhere if the wood is crappy or damaged). However the downside is, if we wait until later we won't be able to walk through most of the house when refinishing the floors. The dilemas of a soon to be homeowner! And, one of the best parts of all, Faith has a large fenced in backyard to play in! She really loves to be outside & our apartment sucks for that (let's be honest here, it sucks for many other reasons too).
Regardless of everything else, I have some paint colors picked out & I'm ready to move! Happy dance & this time I don't care if anyone is looking!

2 comments:

Erin said...

I wonder if the absence of a shower is something that happens a lot in older houses - My house in Ellis didn't have a shower either, just an itty-bitty tub. I remember when I had a good friend visit me once (he was a big dude), and hearing him splash around and curse the tub while he was taking a bath was hysterical.

And I love the yard! Congratulations!

sharona said...

Actually, from what I understand it is pretty normal. In our house hunting "adventures" we looked at several older houses and a lot of them had only tubs. Some that had a 2nd bathroom put in later in the basement have the shower there. I guess the older people, who haven't grown up with the shower are very reluctent to go that route, one main reason being that they're afraid of slipping & falling. Which, actually, I think a shower with a shower chair would be safer than trying to get in & out of a tub full of water! But you know old people, they get set in their ways!