Tuesday, January 20, 2009

POTUS

I'm not a hugely political person. I'm not a hard & fast republican or democrat. I've never really paid much attention to politics. I think partly because of my parents/family. It wasn't really discussed when I was growing up so it was never normal conversation.

Now I'm at the point where my ignorance is my own fault. During this last election I did follow things more & realize I do lean more towards the republican side.

I know everyone's vote counts, but my thought on this election was that there are certain votes that should NOT count. Those that voted for Obama for the sole reason that he is black and those that voted against him for the same reason. Then I think it would have been a little more fair. It may have turned out with the same result, I just don't think skin color is a good reason to vote for or against a person.

That being said, we're getting a new president today. No, I don't agree with him on some things. Yes, he seems a little shady. I just hope he does a good job.

So many people have such high expectations of him. Even if he was a guy that I agreed with on everything & thought would be the perfect man for the job I still don't know that he'd live up to the standards that people are expecting. I know it's a big deal that he's the first black president. But ya know what...get over it. He's a man with a country to run. He has a huge job & he doesn't need to worry about all the little black kids & families that think this is somehow going to change the world. I'm not saying it won't have some effect but come on. You have people saying that now, we ARE all equal. Ya know what, if our society thought that we were all equal, it wouldn't make a damn bit of difference of the color of our president's skin and people would not be making such a huge deal out of it. Also, have you noticed that on TV most of the people they stop to interview about how they feel about this day are black? Like people of other races don't have an opinon? Every TV station wants to get that story of the elderly black man who never thought he'd live to see this happen. Or the little black kid who knows now one day, he can be president too. Who ever told that little kid he couldn't in the first place? It's all just cliched & getting old.

I don't want to come across as racist so I hope nothing above seems that way. I think it's great that we've elected our first not white president, but to me, the color of his skin does not matter. It's what he does as a president for our country that matters.

No comments: