Friday, June 20, 2008

My Shadow Babies

My cousin M was pregnant at the same time I was. My due date was Oct 24, 2006 and she was due several days before or after me (I can't remember right now). What really added to the fun was that her daughter B is only 4 days older than Faith. So, both our kids would have had very close birthdays. After I lost our baby it was pretty difficult to know she would be having a baby when I was supposed to be due. The upside is that she lives on CO and so it's not like I had to see her all the time. The downside (or more in your face you have no baby side) was that baby T was born exactly on my due date. The first time I saw her and held her was very difficult. We were all out at my aunt's house for Thanksgiving. What made it more difficult is that it seemed to me that my entire family had forgotten about ME and MY baby. Yes, I felt selfish thinking it and I wouldn't dream of saying anything but it made me feel very alone. It took a little while, although not as long as I would have thought, to be able to play with T & not constantly be thinking something along the lines of "this would be what my baby was doing".



Here's my sweetie T. Poor little thing was drooling all over because she was starting to get teeth.




My second shadow baby was just born recently. My husbands cousin & his girlfriend found out unexpectedly that they were pregnant. They, too, live in CO. Although I don't get to see her very often it was on my mind. I think so far the situation has been helped by me being pregnant again. I'm spending more time worrying about this baby I guess. After finding out we were having a boy, this is who I sent all of my baby girl clothes home with. S was actually due a few days before my June 10th due date. Her daughter was born May 28th. It's actually a good thing we sent all of those clothes with them, the only things that fit her when they took her home were Faith's preemie clothes. Although I've seen pictures of L I haven't met her yet & held her and got to cuddle with her & smell her sweet baby smell. She (and of course her parents) will be coming back to KS in a couple weeks & I'm really very excited to get the chance to give her some lovin.
By the looks of her sweet chubby cheeks, you wouldn't think she was just over 6 lbs when she was born!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I totally get this, I totally do. CaliValleyGirl just had my first shadow baby. There's not anyone who exactly will have my second one, but another blogger found out she was pregnant a month before I did, so that's close enough for me.
It's not easy.

And I know it's rough for you to continue to think that something might still go wrong. I am with you, girl.